Biobanks are of growing importance to a number of organizations in biotechnology, the pharmaceutical industry and medical research due to the increased awareness of their power to answer pertinent research questions. The higher the quality of the biobank the more accurate or fine grained the studies based on them can be. This requires excellent management of a diverse array of samples such as blood, tissue, saliva, DNA, integration with electronic medical/health records (EMR/EHR) and compliance with the relevant regulatory environment such as HTA, GCLP, MHRA, FDA 21 CFR Part 11 and other similar requirements. Complete sample inventory in real time is essential including tracking aliquots, pooled samples and samples processed for experiments and subsequently stored. Other requirements often include logistics management and monitoring the cold chain. Large biobanks may also require cloud-based solutions in order to accommodate the information storage requirements, especially those based at multiple sites.
Most modern laboratory information management systems (Lab management software) have features or add-ons to facilitate biobanking. Here we highlight a selection of the 10 top LIMS for biobanking, listed in no particular order. Preference has been given to interoperable systems. Purchasers should make their own investigations and bear in mind that these picks are not recommendations.
1. Agilent SLIMS for Biobanks
SLIMS from Agilent Technologies integrates a LIMS, an Electronic Laboratory Notebook, and a Biobanking module. The main key features of SLIMS for Biobanking are:
- Quick and easy overview of sample entries, storage locations, sample status, sample workflow
- Highly configurable sample annotation
- Genetic sample relations with pedigree report
- Data validation options
- Full scale chain of custody
- Searchable with customized exports, and reports
- Possible to Integrate with freezer management systems, instruments, and hospital EMR systems
- Highly adaptable environment, compatible with the cloud
- Study design for multi-studies support
- Workflow for step by step user guidance
- Longitudinal study with different timepoints of collection
Pros: Agilent SLIMS for Biobanks can integrate with EMR/EHRs and is highly customizable. Again, this is very useful for large biorepositories and population health studies with complex requirements.
Cons: Smaller biobanks may want to consider more streamlined options.
2. Modul-Bio – MBioLIMS BioBanking®
A modular software solution specifically designed for biobanks, cohorts and biological resource centres to manage the entire lifecycle of samples and their data. Features include:
- Traceability of biospecimens from reception to shipment
- Process tracking: aliquoting, transformation, storage, analysis
- Genealogy of samples
- Modular software and customizable
- Powerful search function, reporting and statistical tools.
- Available for a single or multiple sites.
- Follows best regulatory practice guidelines
Pros: A key advantage is the customisation that is possible through purchasing specific modules according to the needs of the biobank. It is interoperable and may be able to integrate with EMR/ EHR records. The eMBioBANK® module allows users to publish and share sample collections on the web in a fully regulatory compliant manner. This would be a great solution for hospitals to distribute their samples to researchers.
Cons: While a modular format offers great advantages for customisation, some biobanks may prefer to have a comprehensive software package with idle features that they may instantiate at a later date without the need to select modules.
CloudLIMS is a secure, configurable, in the cloud Biobanking LIMS with zero upfront costs. As a biobank management software, it helps biobanks manage samples and metadata, locate stored samples, automate and streamline workflows, assure sample integrity, remove data silos, and follow guidelines and international standards such as ISO 20387:2018, EU GDPR, HIPAA, 21 CFR Part 11, and ISBER Best Practices. Key features of CloudLIMS are:
- Manage complete sample life-cycle
- Manage patient data and their consent
- Track samples using barcodes and print labels
- Locate stored samples
- Assign role-based data access to biobank staff to safeguard Protected Health Information (PHI) of patients
- Manage tests and test results
- Integrate with third-party systems to facilitate interoperability
- Manage packages and track shipments to clients and collaborators
- Schedule instrument calibration and store maintenance data
- Manage documents and track their revision history
- Control access to confidential documents
- Manage training and competency records of biobank staff
- Manage laboratory inventory used in biobanking activities
Pros: CloudLIMS can be accessed anytime, anywhere, and enables biorepositories to quickly automate and scale up operations without the need to invest in IT infrastructure or personnel. CloudLIMS offers a whole range of complimentary services including automatic backups, legacy data migration, etc.
Cons: CloudLIMS is configurable to meet end-user requirements, it cannot be programmatically customized by the end-user.
AgileBio’s LabCollector is an affordable LIMS solution which is designed in a modular way
keeping in mind the biobanking necessity of every lab. LabCollector LIMS offers extensive
configuration and a very simplified use. As an all-in-one lab management platform, it is
possible to manage, organize sample storage or share daily scientific work in a secure
environment. It integrates a complete LIMS along with add-ons like Workflow Manager,
Electronic Lab Notebook, Lab Service Manager etc that complement the LIMS systema by
enhancing its functionalities. It also utilizes powerful tools to set up an efficient Quality
Management System (QMS) for Biobanking activities in a single database. This helps to
meet the highest quality standards, required by scientists and accreditation bodies.
- Data Traceability
- Fast and accurate location of samples in the lab
- Unique ID for each data entry (samples, reagents, equipment …)
- Multiple barcode creation options
- Check database entries and changes using a user activity audit log
- Integration of sample results (assays, tests)
- Follow up on various sample processes
- Organization of Biobank activities
- Creation of modules specific to data inventory
- Configure the fields, search filters in modules
- Mass import, update and export of data
- Manage lab product orders and reagents lot receptions
- Edit Biobank process workflows
- API integration & remote access to public websites (e.g. an online catalog like
- Data Security
- Access is limited to identified users (login and encrypted password)
- Manage data access using user permission levels
- User groups and record ownership provide additional security
- A data versioning option is also available to track all changes in records.
- Protection against data loss with records deletion locks
- LabCollector SSO (LDAP-AD) improves security and identity protection for
your valuable research data
- SAML uses secure tokens which are digitally signed and encrypted messages
- Data back-up to secure your important data
Pros: Easy to use LIMS with the possibility to configure modules in order to reflect the needs of the Biobank. LabCollector is light and easy to install on any server. You can connect to it anytime using your browser, anywhere and on any type of device. It offers an extensive configuration from the User Interface, a rich API and allows integrations with third party applications. LabCollector can be adapted to many different lab activities, industries including Biobanks.
Cons: Some aspects of LabCollector can be configured by the user according to his needs, but he cannot modify the program itself.
An open source informatics platform for biobanking. This means the software is free and the source code is available for modification. The company charges for the installation and maintenance of the software. Features include:
- User and role management
- Reporting, specimen carts and dashboarding
- inventory management
- Custom forms and fields
- Biospecimen collection
- Multi-site longitudinal study
- Disease based or left-over samples collections
- Consent tracking
- Configurable User Interface
- Label generation and printing
- Distributing specimens to researchers
- Shipping specimens to offsite storage locations
- Importing bulk data (CSV)
Pros: A great solution for biobanks with a professional IT team that see an advantage to complete control over the biobanking software with an ability to modify it themselves. Many customers choose to have OpenSpecimen install, support and maintain the software for a charge.
Cons: Any software source code modification by the biobank staff will render the software unsupported.
6. Biological Specimen Inventory (BSI) System
BSI is a powerful software system for biospecimen management that can be customized. BSI provides specimen, freezer, shipment, and workflow management in a validated secure software environment. Features include:
- Data Entry
- Collection Kits
- BSI Connect
- BSI Hub
Pros: Straightforward system that allows one to manage a biorepository effectively. Possible to integrate with other systems via API (command line).
Cons: In the opinion of the author the system is geared towards tracking and distribution, rather than analysis. That said BSI is certainly extremely analytically capable as well.
7. TDBioBank by TECHNIDATA
TDBioBank is dedicated to biobanking, and specimen management for organizations that track and add value to their stored biological specimens. TDBioBank can manage collections of tissue, blood products, DNA, RNA, cells, and others. Features include:
- Biological specimen management
- Consent management
- Non-conformity management
- Biological resource history (donor, collection, samples, aliquots, derivatives,)
- Storage and request management
- Added value for specimen collections
- Follow-up for sample requests
- Production of customized or standard catalogs
- Annotation of collections, with possible links to patient files (clinical, genetic, genealogical, morphological, and so on)
- Family dimension: pedigree tree editor, family number
- Interface with the Hospital Information System (HIS)
- Interface with the Laboratory Information System (LIS)
- Interface with temperature monitoring systems
- Configurable, interoperable, and evolving solution
- Data import tool
- Requests, data exports, reports
Pros: Dedicated to biobanking, addressing the needs of single or multisite biobanks, through a web-based platform. Good interoperability, potentially with EHR/EMR.
Cons: TDBioBank is comprehensive of larger organisations, however smaller biobank operations may prefer an more streamlined option.
6. BiobankPro by Brooks Life Sciences
BiobankPro is structured for specimen processing, integrated data, and reporting, with the flexibility of a LIMS. Features include:
- Inventory storage and optimization
- Customizable biobanking & research LIMS workflows
- Specimen registration/ lineage
- Collection kits
- Specimen storage check in/out, aliquoting, derivatives, pooling, destruction
- Specimen processing worksheets
- Batch processing documentation
- Built-in electronic laboratory notebook module
- Chain of custody
- Subject management
- Patient consent management
- Study management
- Configurable alerts with e-mails
- Client portal
- Sample requests, specimen shipments
- Testing & assay management
- Instrument & reagent management
- Charts & dashboards
- Tabular report printing
- Complex report designer
- Advanced data mining, ad-hoc and canned queries
- Comprehensive barcode label and RFID tag designer
- Barcode label printing
- RFID tracking compatible
- Integration with external data sources
- Process automation based on external data sources (CTMS, EMR, EDC)
- Limfinity® brick compatibility
- Audit trail
- Role-based security
- Regulatory compliance
Pros: A comprehensive dedicated biobank solution which will be ideal for those that want an out of the box solution with possible EMR/ EHR input.
Cons: Limited ability to customise the software itself by the end user.
9. Labvantage 8
LabVantage 8 is a complete LIMS solution with full capacity for biobanking. The LabVantage biobanking LIMS includes visualization, consent management, specimen accessioning, request management, and a genealogy viewer; hierarchical visualization of specimen storage, digitized consent forms linked to biospecimens, recorded specimen and subject information, standardized terminology, ability to search the specimen collections and clinical data, view a biospecimen’s aliquots, derivatives and pooled samples. Features include:
- A centralized system to store richly annotated specimen data across multiple physical banks
- Full sample tracking and chain of custody
- Fully searchable database that can be ported such that customers can search the biobank for the required specimens
- Data security and regulatory compliance capabilities
- Interfaces with enterprise electronic medical/ health records (EMR/ EHR) systems
- Study management
- Sample genealogy
- Patient consent tracking
- Manage collection kits
- Standard inventory management
- Data security and compliance
- Biospecimen annotation
- Requests & distribution
- Chain of custody
- Compatible with cloud computing
Pros: A key advantage of LabVantage is its ability to integrate with EMR/ EHR databases. This is a crucial feature for drug discovery and population health projects. Combined with the ability to manage multiple sites within LabVantage and the possibility to operate within the cloud make it an ideal solution for very large population health studies and biorepository facilities with multiple sites.
Cons: Those with more streamlined requirements such as an academic biobank for a single disease condition may not require all the capabilities of the software.
10. Core Informatics part of Thermo Fisher Scientific
Core Informatics is a comprehensive LIMS App based platform with clear comparisons to Modul-Bio’s solution, although it appears less focussed on biobanking and storage per se with many genomics and Biopharmaceutical modules. The biobanking apps include clinical study management, however it is unclear whether this allows interfacing with EMR/ EHR data. Apps for biobanking include:
- Clinical study management
- Preclinical study management
- Nucleic acid extraction
- Whole blood fractionation
- Assay request management
- Specimen inventory management
- Specimen shipment management
- Specimen shipment collaborator portal
- Specimen request management
- Biobank operations management
Pros: A comprehensive customisable LIMS solution with many Biobanking modules.
Cons: Purchasers need to weigh up whether a comprehensive non-modular system would be more economical in the long run.