Mohammed Bin Rashid University of Medicine and Health Sciences (MBRU) is part of the newly established Dubai Academic Health Corporation (DAHC). DAHC seeks to strengthen Dubai as a global leader in health care, medical education, research, and scientific innovation, to enhance the capabilities of Dubai’s healthcare sector. DAHC is managing and operating all Dubai public hospitals, primary healthcare centers, specialized care centers, Dubai Dental Hospital; Al Jalila Children’s Specialty Hospital, MBRU and Al Jalila Research Foundation.
The Research and Graduate Studies team at MBRU is accepting applications for the position of Laboratory Manager.
The role holder is responsible for overseeing the operations of all the research and teaching laboratories to ensure that faculty members, research staff and students gain optimum support on the relevant aspects of their research activities and courses. The incumbent will also be responsible for managing laboratory staff, overseeing procurement of laboratory supplies and assets, maintenance of equipment, assigning of resources, and preparation of materials for all laboratory-based teaching and research activities.
- Provides academic support in all forms whenever required (including workshops and conferences).
- Oversee routine implementation of the practical laboratory sessions, including preparation of equipment, and reagents and supply of materials in a timely manner.
- Manage and maintain laboratory spaces and facilities and monitor the research facilities to identify scope for improvement and implementation of any required changes.
- Establishment of a maintenance program and negotiation of service contracts for equipment.
- Oversee training of laboratory technicians, research staff and students on various techniques and equipment.
- Liaise with and provide technical guidance to faculty members, laboratory technologists, researchers, and students, whenever required.
- Monitoring of compliance with statutory safety requirements and ensure adherence to safety policies, procedures, and instructions, while maintaining the necessary records and checks.
- Ensure seamless supply of laboratory equipment, laboratory consumables, reagents and kits as well as managing of the in-house laboratory supplies store.
- Assist with budgeting, financial management, obtaining quotations and seeking approval regarding purchasing requests.
- Provision of guidance on purchasing of supplies, equipment, and services to end users and oversee of all expenditure on the laboratory.
- Master’s degree in biomedical science or any other relevant subject.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in managing and operating University laboratories across different disciplines, including genetics, microbiology, molecular biology, tissue culture, BSL3.
- Exceptional leadership, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Experience of managing people including performance management and staff development.
- Experience of running maintenance programs for both general and highly specialized equipment.
- Good understanding of research areas, equipment, and techniques Experience of financial management
- Highly effective interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Ability to manage and prioritize a diverse and demanding workload.
- Capable to multitask, work proactively and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
Only shortlisted will be contacted for an interview. Examples of our work can be seen at learn.mbru.ac.ae.